About the Role
Clarity Wellness Community is a progressive not-for-profit organization providing mental health services in Allegany and Wyoming counties. Clarity’s mission is to empower people with care, connections and support for a lifetime of choice. We are currently seeking a full-time Peer Specialist I in our Warsaw Clinic to support adults on their path to wellness.
Peer Specialists work in a dynamic and person-centered setting providing a variety of support services. A few of these responsibilities include:
· Assist individuals in articulating personal goals for recovery using one-to-one and group sessions.
· Assist individuals in working with their case manager or treatment team in determining the steps he/she needs to take to achieve these goals and self-directed recovery.
· Assist individuals in setting up and sustaining self-help (mutual support) groups, as well as means of locating and joining existing groups.
· Willing to share your own experiences and what skills, strengths, supports and resources you use.
· Model effective coping techniques and self-help strategies.
· Work with the individuals and other treatment team staff to develop a treatment/recovery plan. based on each individual’s identified goals.
· Facilitate peer-support groups
· Referrals to appropriate mental health and or addiction services
· Provide transportation for individuals to their appointments.
· Provide time in the recovery center.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
· Highschool Diploma or Equivalency Exam
· Peer certification or in process of obtaining peer certification.
· Prefer at one year of recovery from mental health or substance use concerns providing lived experience.
· Prefer previous experience working with the mental health population.
· Must be able to identify with the population of focus by living with a mental health disorder.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of populations in a diverse community.
· Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
· Skill in use of personal computers and related software applications, including e-mail.
· Experience working in a community-based setting for at least 1 to 2 years preferred.
· Good communication skills, such as listening well, and using language appropriately
· Normal workweek schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00-5:00 PM.
· Some evenings required for support groups and recovery center.
· Amount of travel required is up to 25% of the time.
· Work will be performed in a typical interior/office work environment, individual’s homes.
· Potential for on-call to respond to crisis.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
Peer Support Specialist Certification (Required)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person